This Citrus Donut Recipe is beyond delicious. My daughter was so excited when we purchased our donut pan (similar one found here). She was begging me all week for us to make them together. My pan came with this light and fluffy recipe that is perfect for spring or summer. These would be a great family night treat, or at shower or party. I love how light they are! I had to use some self control to not eat them all. And don’t you love when things are a mini version?
These donuts are super easy and a perfect recipe to make with your kids. My daughter is pretty talented at sifting dry ingredients or pouring things into our mixer. She LOVES baking with me. And she loves sharing what we’ve made with her brothers and dad. Spending time with her in the kitchen is a favorite of mine. She is so happy that she chats about whatever is on her heart and randomly hugs me. There is usually is more of a mess, although one of these days she will master pouring without spilling. But the extra mess is totally worth it. Serving and quality time are both main love languages. So cooking for our family together is a win-win!
Look at how light and fluffy they are!!!
Her little hands loved having a turn filling the donut pan. Spoiler Alert: the dough tastes amazing! She insisted that I turn on the oven light so she could watch our creation. Another favorite recipe we love to make together is Bran Muffins. I just love baking with my girl. I get the chance to talk about ingredients, math, and life in general. Sometimes when I am scooping flour in the bowl she will count for me. She feels so proud and grown up as she helps me. And I want to foster that desire to serve and help others.
Ideas on what kids can do in the kitchen: washing ingredients, pouring ingredients, turning on the mixer, counting the eggs you crack (or cracking them on their own), mixing the batter, lining the paper liners in your muffin pan, slicing easily cut fruit, sifting the dry ingredients, and more.
- 6 Tbsp Butter
- 1 c. Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. each, lemon and orange zest
- 1/2 c. Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 tsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/4 c. Buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp. each, lemon and orange
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- Preheat oven to 300*. Lightly spray your donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, beat in egg and lemon juice. Alternately mix in dry ingredients and buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a pasty bag (or ziplock) and pipe into donut pan.
- Bake until they are puffy and domed and the cake pulls away, about 12-14 minutes.
- Transfer pan to wire rack to cool. Invert donuts on the rack to cool completely.
- To make Citrus Sugar Coating
- In a small bowl combine lemon and orange zest with sugar.
- Brush donuts with melted butter. Toss in citrus sugar coating and serve.
- To make buttermilk add a tsp. of vinegar to milk and let it stand for 10 minutes.
You can thank me after you’ve gotten a chance to make these. Don’t forget to pick up your donut pan. I’ve been wanting one forever and I don’t know why I waited so long! I foresee lots of donuts in our future! Be sure to spread some sunshine by pinning this recipe! And leave a comment for us below on what YOUR favorite donut is right now?
Some of these items are affiliated links. You are welcomed to buy from anywhere. But I don’t mind if you buy them from here. I only share items I really like or use. Thanks for your support!